Sunday 4 September 2016

Festival of Quilts 2016


Today I'd usually be visiting the Great Northern Quilt Show at Harrogate which I've done for many years. I love supporting our 'local' show and it's just the right size without being overwhelming. However, this year I decided to have a change so, a couple of weeks ago, I travelled down to Birmingham to see the Festival of Quilts. It's been a few years since my last visit but it's great to see this one once in a while as it's the top show in the country and attracts all the best and most innovative quilters. It's held in three massive halls with quilts displayed in different categories and hundreds of traders.

I took loads of photos but have picked out a few of my favourites to give you a flavour of what I saw. No words, just lots of amazing work.

Paradise in Bloom - Robyn Fahy

The Magical Mermaid's Castle - Claudia Pfeil
 

Think Tea - Sheena Hughes

The Stour in Winter - Mary Bird

Fern Rising - Claudia Pfeil


Left: Parts of the Sun - Mary Mattimoe
Right: Floribundance - Gillian Theokritoff

Rainbow Lorikeet - Helen Godden


She's a Wildflower - Joanna Wilczynska Halassek

Miniature: Un poco de Pina - Karen Moore

Miniature: Vestiges - Leah Higgins

Homestead - Shipton Quilters



Best in Show was won by Sandy Chandler with Infinity.



Funnily enough, Visitor's Choice was also won by a wholecloth quilt: Pearl Princess by Sandie Lush.

Wholecloth quilts are awful to photograph and, to be truthful, are not really my thing. I can appreciate the fantastic workmanship in them though. So what would have been my own choice?



Of the traditional quilts, I loved this one for its bright colours: Dresden in Bloom - Janette Chilver.

I also have a soft spot for the girl with flowers in her hair and Robyn Fahy's 'Paradise in Bloom' (pictured first).


Overall though, I think Other Places by Sandra Newton was my Best in Show and it also won Best Miniature. I just love the quiet colour and movement.

What do you think? Which would you have chosen?

Today then, instead of visiting a quilt show, I'll be working on my own. And hoping to spend some time outside if the weather improves. Hope you're enjoying your weekend whatever you have planned. x

3 comments:

  1. Some amazing work there! I like the winter scene quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, the amount of skill and craftsmanship involved here is really incredible! Taste is such a personal thing though - not all of these are to my taste, even though they are works of art. I like The Stour in Winter best of all. It doesn't shout at you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW do they make these????? I am.amazed!! Sooo beautiful!! I would have chosen the Ferns rising or Flowers in her hair. There is so much detail. I find the winner a bit boring in comparison!

    ReplyDelete