Sunday 21 October 2012

Day off


I had a day off this week. We were supposed to be going for a check-up at the dentist but it was cancelled - for the 3rd time! To be fair to my dentist, I've been going to see her for at least 20 years and she's never cancelled in all that time so I think she's just having an unlucky spell. I considered cancelling my leave for, oh, at least a nano-second, before deciding to take it anyway. We quickly settled on the cinema and food as a good way to spend the day. We were almost foiled at the last minute as my plumber rang just before we were due to leave to remind me my boiler needed servicing and could he come that afternoon? Aagh! Luckily, my lovely Dad stepped in and said he would wait in for the plumber. Phew! Quick, out of the house before anything else can stop us.

Having looked through the listings, we settled on Looper, which had received good reviews in the papers. It turned out to be a great choice. A bit violent in parts but a good storyline: interesting and intriguing. We mostly go to see rom-coms but also like sci-fi and fantasy. I was surprised how many other people were in the cinema on a weekday but it could have been the Orange Wednesday effect.


For food, our restaurant of choice was Chiquito. It was my first visit but Chickpea has been before with her boyfriend.


We both had the BBQ pulled pork and melted cheese quesadillas with green rice. The quesadillas were fine but, to be honest, the rice was bland. I ended up mixing mine with the salsa which came with the complimentary tortilla chips.


Of course, we also managed to fit in a bit of retail therapy as the cinema is on a retail park. The Frizz-Ease is a regular purchase and a vain attempt to tame my manic curls. The daylight bulb will help me with evening crafting. I'm also hoping it might help with evening photography. Since the evenings have got darker, I only seem to have weekends to take photos for the blog which is very limiting and frustrating. Finally, the dog treats and cat toy are early Christmas present purchases for friends with pets.

I don't think I've had a day off since my leave in August and was really ready for it. I don't know if it's work or the darker mornings but I've been feeling very tired lately. And now Chickpea isn't in full-time education, I don't have half-terms to look forward to. Wouldn't it be great if all workplaces had them though - maybe we should start a campaign! In the meantime, I'll have to try to fit in another day off in a few weeks - if nothing else it'll soon be time for proper Christmas shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment