Wednesday 5 December 2012

Christmas patchwork


Today I thought I'd share with you a quilt I made a couple of years ago. Jackie challenged Bolton Quilters to make a quilt based on a Christmas card and I chose this design by Brigitte McDonald, appropriately called 'Christmas Patchwork'.


The design appealed to me because it had clearly defined sections and bold, simple patterns.


I also thought the use of non-Christmassy colours was interesting and it offered the opportunity to do some embellishment.


The best part was choosing the fabrics. Most of them were from my stash but I had to buy a few like this navy with gold spots to use for the night sky.
 

And this is the finished quilt! It's machine pieced and appliqued with hand embellishment and was completed in 2009 just in time for our previous exhibition. Can you tell that the photo was taken in the summer? It seems ages since the garden was so lush and green, particularly as the temperature has gone below zero overnight. Brrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment