Friday 14 February 2014

Coffee pot cosy


Lately we've been enjoying real coffee again. That is, ground coffee which you make in a cafetiere rather than out of a jar. The only problem in these wintry months is that it starts to go cold while brewing. After wrapping the cafetiere in a towel for a while, I decided it was time to make a cosy.


I wanted to make a jaunty striped cosy and found the pink and green yarn, which came free with a magazine, in my stash: it's Bergere de France Barisienne in shades 'Nerine' (pink) and 'Nil' (green). As you can see it's just a rectangle with ribbed sides. If I made one again, I'd knit the sides as part of the pattern instead of making them separately and sewing on at the end. 


I did puzzle over how to fasten the cosy and experimented with press-stud fastenings before settling on buttons. The loops for the buttons are simple crocheted chains. Initially I was kicking myself for not taking time to knit proper button holes but, actually, I think the loops make it much easier to fasten. Hurrah! No repenting at leisure for acting in haste here :)



Doesn't he look handsome in his woolly jersey? It's been in constant use so has really been worth the small amount of time it took to make. Next time, I'm going to tell you about something which would go very nicely with the coffee from the pot. x

PS The canisters in the background were my Christmas present from Chickpea - I love them and their little birdy handles :)

PPS Thank you for all the lovely comments about the Cookery Book Challenge - glad you're enjoying it as much as we are. xx

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely little cozy! I think I'd like a matching jumper... ;-) Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cosy looks lovely, I hope that you and your cafetiere are enjoying it! Happy Valentines Day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie! Your coffee pot cozy is so vibrant and cute! Thank you for your kind comment on my walk in the snowy woods with my sister-in-law's labs Rufus and Gracie! I've been catching up on your recent blogs ~ I so love your photos of fungi! It's unusual to come across someone who likes mushrooms and such! Happy Valentine's Day to you! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great use for that yarn. I've got that too but haven't made anything with it and this is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet. And those pots are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like it. We use our cafetiere a lot too, and yes the coffee can cool a little while brewing. I always worried that these would get covered in drips, but I imagine they're easy enough to wash and much better than cold coffee! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea. Pretty and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely cozy! The ribbing on the edges is a nice touch. And Chickpea chose a very nice gift -- I love the little blue birds on the lids:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to come across your blog and knitted cafetiere cosie

    Lynne Taunton Somerset

    ReplyDelete

  10. A coffee pothub the coffee makers
    cosy adds a charming touch to the kitchen while serving a practical purpose. It not only keeps your coffee pot warm but also enhances the overall decor, providing a personalized and stylish look. Using a coffee pot cosy transforms the coffee brewing experience, making it more enjoyable and cozy. It's a functional accessory that combines both aesthetics and utility, making it a delightful addition to any kitchen setting

    ReplyDelete
  11. bamboo is that they both can be utilized as sustainable materials for crafting or creating eco-friendly products. For instance, a coffee pot cozy can be made from bamboo fabric or matcha whisk incorporate bamboo as a structural component due to its durability and renewable nature. Additionally, bamboo can be used in crafting the handles or decorations for coffee pot cozies, showcasing a connection between the two materials in practical and aesthetic applications.

    ReplyDelete