Sunday 5 January 2014

Twelfth Night


Now, now the mirth comes
With the cake full of chocolate and almonds
Where a piece of macaroni's the sport here.

Begin then to choose
This night as ye use
Who shall for those present's delight,
Be Twelfth-day queen on this night.


Next crown a bowl full
With slices of apple mulled:
Add cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger,
With a bottle of cider too;
And if ye should do
T'will make the wassail a swinger.

And so part I from ye hence
As free from offence
As when we did innocent meet here.

***********************

With sincere apologies to Robert Herrick and his poem, Twelfth Night :)

Recipe for Twelfth Night King Cake from The Great British Bake Off: How to Bake: the Perfect Victoria Sponge and other Baking Secrets.

Hope you enjoyed your weekend. Back soon. x

6 comments:

  1. I am wanting to go to England right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I've only ever been wassailing once before but it was a great event to be part of - your twelfth night looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of your twelve night celebrations! Is that mulled apple cider? Would you happen to have a recipe for it, I would love to try it.
    Marianne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, I adapted a recipe from my Cattern Cakes book. It was basically a bottle of cider heated with a couple of spoons of brown sugar, a cinnamon stick, a teaspoon of ground ginger and some freshly grated nutmeg. I strained the liquid before serving though some of the spice did still get through. Hope you like it. x

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Julie I will definitely give this a try, it sounds really delicious.
      Marianne xx

      Delete
  4. What a fab way to celebrate 12th Night! I never bother but now wish I did. Is that cake the same as a galette des rois? I tried mulled cider for the first time over Christmas, mixed with ginger ale. It was delicious and I think I prefer it to mulled wine. x

    ReplyDelete