Saturday 15 November 2014

A scarf and other yarns


Today I thought it was time for a ta-dah moment as I've actually managed to finish something! Although, can it be a ta-dah moment if you've shown the item in the opening photo???

In any case, I present to you my Miyu scarf...


Ta-dah!

It was actually quite a relief to finish as it hasn't been the easiest of patterns to follow. I think that's probably why it's taken me a good year to get around to completing it.


The pattern was free on the internet and advertised as a perfect introduction to lace knitting for beginners. Well, maybe. There are 28 rows to the pattern and lots of yarn forwards and 'knit 2 togethers' which meant you really have to concentrate so as not to go wrong. I went wrong lots of times and it was an absolute pain to undo. I think I prefer a pattern with more of a rhythm that you can just relax into and not have to think too hard.


I do love the finished result though and the yarn was lovely to work with. It's Rowan fine lace, shade 924 (Patina) which is made of baby alpaca and merino - so soft and cuddly. And it takes less than one ball too.

Since finishing it, I've started another couple of yarny projects.


The first is a pair of fingerless mitts. I bought the pattern and yarn at Yarndale last year but have only just got around to starting it. I hope I'm not the only one who buys things and then takes months if not years to actually make anything!

Both the pattern and yarn are from Fyberspates and they had the most amazing stand with hanks of yarns hanging all along the wall in gorgeous jewel colours. I couldn't resist this yarn which is Vivacious in Spiced Plum.

Having said I like a simple pattern, I've challenged myself again as it's knitted in the round and I have to insert beads as I knit. Well, who needs an easy life?!


The second project is a blanket. I've wanted to make one for a while but haven't been able to find the right project. I love granny square blankets but they make me lose the will to live with all the colour changes and ends to sew in. So, I've decided to join in with Lucy's crochet-a-long and make her cosy blanket. The yarn pack arrived earlier this week and I'm already absolutely loving it! The colours are gorgeous and the yarn is crocheting up really well. I've not used Stylecraft before but am impressed so far.

So that's what I'm up to, along with an embroidery and a couple of quilts. I might need to start another project soon too if I don't find a present tomorrow. We're going on a coach trip to a Christmas market and I can't wait - I'm so excited! I won't say any more as I'll be telling all, hopefully in the next week. I'm also hoping to find a few photos for the scavenger hunt as I don't have a single one yet - gulp!

I'm off now to make dinner before settling down to watch Strictly and to crochet a few more rows of my blanket. Enjoy your evening and the rest of your weekend. x

8 comments:

  1. It sounds as though you have lots of yarny projects on the go, all of which are lovely! Your scarf is beautiful, the pattern and colour! It was definitely well worth you keeping going to produce something as lovely as this is. I hope that you enjoy wearing it a lot. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen, if I had made that lovely scarf I would be TAH DAHING all over the place!
    I bought one skein of Stylecraft when I was in England, it was a rather bright pink color and I have used it in trimming lots of baby girl things, I love it!
    Also, I have seen Lucy's crochet along project too, I think she is such a talented artist, I love her work and her blog. Can't wait to see the blanket you make from it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scarf looks beautiful and oh so very soft! I love the colour of the mitts as well :) Looking forward to seeing blanket progress, I've been admiring Lucy's new project for a few weeks now but should probably finish a blanket before I start another one :S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your scarf looks lovely and lace-like, Julie. I should be very proud, if I were you! I've also been looking at Lucy's crochet along and thinking about joining too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the look of the Miyu scarf - it looks light but very warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your scarf is beautiful. I am with you on lace knitting, I really don't like it and will avoid patterns that have lots of it. Hope you enjoy your Christmas Market, I find them too busy and usually avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie, your scarf is absolutely beautiful. It is so delicate and pretty and the colour is gorgeous. I tried lace knitting once but it was doomed from the start really and I really admire you for finishing such a beautiful lace scarf. I really like the look of your new blanket too and looking forward to seeing more of it. Have a great week and thanks for your lovely comments over at mine :-)
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your finished scarf looks so soft and delicate and the colour is just lovely. It's a really great piece of lace knitting; well done for trying and persevering! Your other yarny projects are looking good too. Looking forward to hearing about your Christmad market trip.

    ReplyDelete